Friday, March 30, 2012

Calling All Mommies!!*

*Even if you are not a mommy, your comments, tips, tricks, theories, sage advice, or magical spells are more than welcome!

Dear Comrades,

Here's the question of the century: Will my chile EVER sleep through the night?!?!

So, Cam is 6 months old.  He wakes up *at least* once a night...most nights two, and occasionally three.  His bedtime is 7:00, which he's gotten used to.  It's pretty easy to just do our routine, lay him in his crib, and walk away.  However, he wakes up pretty much every night at around 4:00am and wants a whole bottle (6 oz.).  Lately, he's been waking up between 10:00 and 11:00 also wanting a whole bottle.  I'm feeding him solid food (1-1.5 oz.) and a bottle around 5:30 or 6:00.  He's sleeping consistently from  7:00pm to 6:00 or 7:00am, which is great!  But when will his sleep be uninterrupted? 

At his recent 6 month check-up, the doctor asked if he was sleeping through the night, and I told her what I've just mentioned.  She said that it's probably out of habit that he wants to be fed, and that I need to stop feeding him at night.  Yikes!  It seems like if I do that, then we'll get even less sleep because when he wakes up and doesn't get any food, he will scream and be inconsolable for who knows how long!  Do I slowly wean him off night feedings?  Maybe give him one or two ounces less until he's not drinking anymore? 

Another question is, how long is "through the night?"  I read somewhere that 6 hours is sleeping through the night.  If that's the case, 1:00am would be time to wake up and that is just plain unreasonable!  Maybe that was for newborns...either way, I don't believe that.  How long should a 6-month-old sleep without waking up?   

Don't get me wrong; I still love this sweet, precious, little angel face to death!  Who wouldn't?!



But what gives??

Growth spurt?

Teething?

Just to spite me?

Help!

Sincerely (if a little cranky),
Sleepless in El Paso

P.S.  Mommies who can say, "My baby slept through the night after the first week," need not respond ;}

5 comments:

  1. I have an 18-month-old that is only starting to regularly sleep through the night. Ours was/is the same problem. He would wake up some time around 2am, get a diaper change, eat a bottle and then conk right out. We've tried letting him cry it out or giving him smaller amounts at night, but both methods just led to him waking every hour on the hour until he gets fed enough ... or it's a decent hour in the morning. The doctor told us the same thing (that it's become the routine), but if he goes right back to sleep once he's eaten (even AFTER we've established the routine of letting him cry it out for hour after hour), then that must be the thing he needs. My mom said that my brother was the same way until he was about 2. Now that Bennett has gotten a little bigger and is able to eat big dinners, we only have to get up maybe once a week. I'm not sure if that's at all helpful (or just super discouraging), but I just want to let you know that you're not alone! However, the best advice is to just go with your gut! You are an awesome mom and God has instilled in you the motherly intuition that you need! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adrianna sometimes does this too. I read recently to try and wait a little longer each night before you go in and then it slowly runs into the next feeding or breakfast. Another cause might be the diapers you are using. You may need ones that are more absorbent for night. This was our problem and it took me like month to find a disposable that worked. We were using huggies. I found that the really wet diaper was waking her up. The cloth diapers have helped lot at night. I just put in an extra thick overnight liner and it has worked for the past 3 nights she has slept until almost 7!!! It could also be teething. Another thing i have been trying is rocking her for like 10 minutes after I change her and before I feed her. Hope this helps!! Ps I feel your pain and sleeplessness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh i forgot to say that i feed her on a similar schedule except i give her a full bottle(6oz) at bedtime before we read a story that helped in the beginning of trying to teach her to sleep through the night. Maybe try giving him a little snack before putting him down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ziva still wakes up 1 to 3 times a night. I usually have to nurse her upon each waking. I really think she is genuinely hungery most of the time. I know with Asa and Josiah it helped if I topped them off right before I went to bed but Ziva will not eat if she doesn't wake up herself. I know once she gets closer to the one year mark I will probably let her cry it out like I did with Asa and Josiah but for now I just try to get into bed a little earlier than usual. I know it seems like forever away but he will sleep through the night and when you look back on this time it will seem to short.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ashley, He is totally normal. I don't want to come off as harsh, but some of the comments on FB were not good advice. You are right, sleeping through the night is considered 5-6 hours of consecutive sleep (your doctor should know that.) Its a far cry from the 8-10 we wished they would sleep for. Every baby is different, but many babies wake up 1-3 times like this until they are between 15-18 months old as Kristy mentioned above. It doesn't mean that there sleep is done. He is hungry, and he needs to eat during the night for good growth and development. Feed him, change him if needed, and put him back to sleep Use your own instincts. I would question your doctor's approach. The majority of people are still on the cry it out band wagon, but there are studies that show that crying is stressful and harmful to your little ones development. I recommend the book "The No Cry Sleep Solution." Its about finding a routine that promotes healthy sleep habits for infants through toddlers no matter what stage you are at. The author is all about co-sleeping, but if your not down with that, its easy to look past it and see all the other great information. Also, be careful with feeding immediately before bedtime as it can cause reflux...then you will have some crying for sure. SuperMom is totally right, this time will seem short and you will miss it.

    ReplyDelete