Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Try It Tuesday

So, for this Try It Tuesday I decided to try out a Green Chile and Rice Casserole recipe I found on Pinterest for dinner. 

Here are the ingredients:

Long grain and wild rice, chopped green chiles, cheddar cheese, and sour cream (I used reduced fat)
 
First, you cook the rice according to the package directions.  Super simple.
 
Then, you mix the chiles with 8oz. sour cream (I used half of this 16oz. container).  Again, super simple :}

Pretty sure even a visual learner like me could figure that out without a picture Ha!
 
Next, you take half of your cooked rice and put it in a greased baking dish, then layer half your sour cream mixture, then half your cheese.  Repeat.  Note: the recipe calls for 16oz. of cheese, but I used about 8oz. and I think that was plenty!
 
Bake at 325 for about 20 minutes.
 
And there you have it!  Cheesy, ricey, green chile goodness!

 
 
Now, it tasted really good the way I did it this time; however, there are a couple things I would do differently next time...I would use the whole 16oz. container of sour cream.  The picture on the recipe I used looked really creamy, but this wasn't creamy at all (that might have something to do with the reduced fat version of sour cream, but I still think it just needed more...I might even mix in some softened cream cheese actually).  I would also use a smaller baking dish.  I had to spread everything really thin.  I think adding some chicken to make it more of a meal than a side would be good.  Other than that, I think it was a hit!  Happy Tuesday!
 
 
Here is the recipe I used:
 
1 (6 ounce) package dry instant long grain and wild rice mix
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Lightly grease a medium baking dish.
  2. Prepare the instant long grain and wild rice mix according to package directions.
  3. Spread 1/2 the cooked rice mix over the bottom of the prepared baking dish. In a bowl, mix the sour cream and green chiles. Spread 1/2 the sour cream mixture over rice, and top with 1/2 the cheese. Repeat the layers.
  4. Bake 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until bubbly.

I found it here.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment